As a Volunteer driver you drive your own vehicle to transport cancer patients to and from various treatment centres. We reimburse your gas at a rate of $.48 per km.
Provide an ICBC driver abstract, proof of a minimum of $3 million 3rd party liability insurance coverage and a clean Criminal Record Check. For the health and well-being of patients, vehicles must be reliable, clean, smoke-free, scent-free and in good repair.
If you live in Vancouver, Burnaby or Richmond and wish to be a cancer driver, please contact the Freemason’s website for volunteering opportunities, These cities are not within our driving areas. If you live east of Mission and wish to volunteer, we cannot offer you an opportunity to work with us because, as yet, we do not serve this area. Freemason's website
Thank you for your interest in the Volunteer Cancer Drivers Society. To qualify as a volunteer driver please ensure you meet our requirements:
Drivers must have the following skills and qualifications:
- Be between 21 to 78 years of age, with a minimum of 5 years driving experience
- Have a good driving record, maximum 3 demerit points from ICBC
- Hold a valid driver’s license, and a minimum of 3 million third party liability insurance
- Submit to a Criminal Record Check.
- Commit to a minimum of 1 full day or 2 half days per week.
- Own and use a trustworthy vehicle and be responsible for the upkeep and safety of the vehicle.
- Be in good physical and mental health, physically able to assist riders should it be required.
- Refrain from smoking and drive without distractions (cell phone, texting, etc.).
- Consistently drive defensively and obey traffic laws.
- Be familiar with maps or electronic navigation devices.
- Have and be familiar with the use of email and a basic familiarity with computers.
Drivers must possess these personal attributes and qualities:
- Empathy, compassion and a non-judgemental approach with others.
- Supportive listening skills.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- Flexibility and adaptability to emergency situations.
- Respect and observe VCDS’s policies, procedures, codes of conduct and ethics.